Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Looking up a value

Ok, I just cant seem to find a way to do what I want.

I have a table that contains the first 3 digits of a large number of zip
codes similar to the following

This table is on a seperate tab. What I want to do is enter a value in a
cell and have the formula determine if the number is in the table. If it is I
need the cell to say "Yes" if not then say "No".

Am I missing something simple? Thanks for the help.
--
Brooks W.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:C8,E1)0,"Yes","No")

For a different sheet (Sheet2 - adjust as necessary):

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A1:C8,E1)0,"Yes","No")

HTH,
Paul

"Brooks W." wrote in message
Ok, I just cant seem to find a way to do what I want.

I have a table that contains the first 3 digits of a large number of zip
codes similar to the following

This table is on a seperate tab. What I want to do is enter a value in a
cell and have the formula determine if the number is in the table. If it
is I
need the cell to say "Yes" if not then say "No".

Am I missing something simple? Thanks for the help.
--
Brooks W.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Suppose the table is on Sheet2 in the range A1:C8
Let A1 of another worksheet contain the value to be looked up
Then, on the same worksheet, the formula
=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A1:C8,A1),"Yes","No") will serve your purpose.

BTW: the thing with columns/rows/cells is a SHEET or a WORKSHEET, the
do-hickey (technical term!) that you click to open a Worksheet is called a
TAB. Knowing the right name improves your chance of getting an answer when
using Help

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme