Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Extracting data inexcell 2003

I have 2 spreadsheets, one listing a list of sales, the other showing a
summary of sales by each month. how do i get the summary from the detailed
list by month.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming there is a date associated with each sale:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(A2:A100)=6),B2:B100)

Column A contains Dates
Column B contains Sales

Above give sales for June (ignoring year)

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(A2:A100)=6),--(YEAR(A2:A100)=2007),B2:B100)

Above give sales for June 2007

HTH

"John cheshire lad" wrote:

I have 2 spreadsheets, one listing a list of sales, the other showing a
summary of sales by each month. how do i get the summary from the detailed
list by month.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you don't want to stretch the clairvoyant powers of the group, it might
be handy if you tell us what error message you're getting. Where in the
formula does the cursor sit when Excel reports the error?

What do your windows regional settings use for separators? Are you sure
that lists are separated by commas, or might they be semi-colons in your
system?
--
David Biddulph

"John cheshire lad" wrote in
message ...

"John cheshire lad" wrote:

I have 2 spreadsheets, one listing a list of sales, the other showing a
summary of sales by each month. how do i get the summary from the
detailed
list by month.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Glad it's sorted. Perhaps you could let us know why Toppers' formula wasn't
working for you and how you solved it, for the benefit of the group archive
and other readers who may have similar problems?
--
David Biddulph

"John cheshire lad" wrote in
message ...

"John cheshire lad" wrote:

I have 2 spreadsheets, one listing a list of sales, the other
showing a
summary of sales by each month. how do i get the summary from the
detailed
list by month.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

David
One other question. What If I wanted to rerieve data from another worksheet
what would be needed.
thanks.
john

"John cheshire lad" wrote:

I have 2 spreadsheets, one listing a list of sales, the other showing a
summary of sales by each month. how do i get the summary from the
detailed
list by month.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Change =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(A2:A100)=6),B2:B100) to
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH('Sheet 2'!A2:A100)=6),'Sheet 2'!B2:B100)
if you want to retrieve data from a sheet called Sheet 2.
--
David Biddulph

"John cheshire lad" wrote in
message ...