Baba

Default excel sorting

When I sort A to Z in a column, the rows don't stay together. Names and
addresses are all mixed up.

JulieD

Hi Baba

don't sort A to Z in a column :) - if you just select a column and use the
A to Z icon, excel will only sort that column.

IMHO the best way to sort data in excel is either select all your data not
just a column or select only one cell then use Data / Sort from the menu -
nominate the column to sort by and then your data should always stay
together.

Cheers
JulieD

"Baba" wrote in message
When I sort A to Z in a column, the rows don't stay together. Names and
addresses are all mixed up.

Peo Sjoblom

You need to select all columns in question

Peo Sjoblom

"Baba" wrote in message
When I sort A to Z in a column, the rows don't stay together. Names and
addresses are all mixed up.

Baba

I tried this as well, and the other reply's idea, and they both come back
with a message that insists "This operation requires the merged cells to be
identically sized". Then I formated all the cells in the worksheet the same
font and height and width, and still received the same warning. I clicked
the "OK" and it just took me back to the hightlighted worksheet to start the
sort over again.
Baba

"Baba" wrote in message
When I sort A to Z in a column, the rows don't stay together. Names and
addresses are all mixed up.

JulieD

Hi Baba

do you have any merged cells in the worksheet .. .these are never a good
idea as it can affect sorting (as you're finding now) but also other things
like filtering. My recommendation would be that you unmerge any merged
cells and try again.

Cheers
JulieD

"Baba" wrote in message
When I sort A to Z in a column, the rows don't stay together. Names
and
addresses are all mixed up.

Peo Sjoblom

That is why you should avoid merged cells like the plague, mostly can get
the same display by using
center across selection etc.

Peo Sjoblom