Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how to get the value in the upper 5 cell

Dear all,

the purpose is to do a subtract to two cells, which are in the same colume
but one is upper 5 to the other.

First I have a vlookup string, "=VLOOKUP(B2,sheet2!A:M,3,FALSE)". Suppose
that the result of this vlookup value is located in sheet2!C10, I want to get
other value which is sheet2!C5. Cause C10 is not stable, it is located by
this vlookup string, how can I get the value of C5?

P.S. the value of each colume is not continous.

If anyone can give some hints, many many thanks to you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way:

=INDEX(Sheet2!A:M,MATCH(B2,Sheet2!A:A,0)-5,3)

Note that if the lookup_value is in the range Sheet2!A1:A5 you'll get an
incorrect result since there aren't 5 cells above. I'm assuming your design
and request have taken that into account.

Biff