Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Choose highest value duplicate

Hi,

Got a list of customers.

Can identify duplicates by address

I only want to keep the highest value customer at each address:

e.g.
Tom 15 Essex Place £30000
Pete 1 George Street £25000
Katy 15 Essex Place £45000
Sally 12 Bath Rd £40000

In the example above, I'd want to pick all entries except the first, as the
third is the same address and a higher value.

This needn't be complicated - a column of formulas which check all identical
addresses and only return a "Yes" if the row is the highest value for that
address would be great.

Apologies if this is easy - I played about for ages and just couldn't see it.

Cheers,

Tom.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(MAX(IF($B$1:$B$40=B1,$C$1:$C$40))=C1,"Yes","")

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.
Excel will automatically enclose the formula in braces (curly brackets), do
not try to do this manually.
When editing the formula, it must again be array-entered.

--
HTH

Bob

"mr tom" <mr-tom at mr-tom.co.uk.(donotspam) wrote in message

Got a list of customers.

Can identify duplicates by address

I only want to keep the highest value customer at each address:

e.g.
Tom 15 Essex Place £30000
Pete 1 George Street £25000
Katy 15 Essex Place £45000
Sally 12 Bath Rd £40000

In the example above, I'd want to pick all entries except the first, as
the
third is the same address and a higher value.

This needn't be complicated - a column of formulas which check all
identical
addresses and only return a "Yes" if the row is the highest value for that
address would be great.

Apologies if this is easy - I played about for ages and just couldn't see
it.

Cheers,

Tom.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Bob,

I can't get this to work for me.

I'm now looking for the lowest value, so have substituted MIN.

My formula is:

=IF(MIN(IF($AJ$2:$AJ$12691=AJ2,$AK$2:$AK$12691))=A K2,"Yes","")
(as an array, so excel put in the curly brackets for me)
AJ is the Value
AK is the address line.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Cheers.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

AJ is the Value
AK is the address line.

=IF(MIN(IF($AK$2:$AK$12691=Ak2,$AJ$2:$AJ$12691))=A J2,"Yes","")

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes - I got the columns the wrong way around.

Realised just after posting and kicked myself, but have had connection
problems since, so couldn't tell you not to bother replying.

So thanks, Bob - it really works a treat!

Tom.