Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sum of Column with next column containing specific word

Here is the situation:
I have a spreadsheet I am using for a timecard, in column Q, rows 18-31, I
have a spot for employees to type in their "other" hours. In Column R in the
same rows I have a spot for them to choose from a drop down what type of
hours they are (say Berevement, Floating Holiday...). What I would like to do
is be able to pull the sum of each type for the pay period.

How do I turn the following idea into a function:
If "Floating Holiday - Bday" shows in any cell in M18:M31 sum the total
hours in L18:L31.
Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMIF(M18:M31,"Floating Holiday - Bday",L18:L31)

or

=SUMIF(M18:M31,"*Floating Holiday - Bday*",L18:L31)

if the criteria is part of the cell(s)

you can also replace the hardcoded text string with a cell and then put the
criteria in the cell

Peo Sjoblom