Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Round to thousands via custom format?

I need to round numbers via a custom format. I'm using:

##,##0,_);[Red](##,##0,)

That gives me exactly what I need as long as the number is 1000 or <
-1000 .. there's a problem when the number is only 3 digits long, eg.
500 or -500 .. in which case it shows up as 0 and (0) respectively.

I need help modifying this format to present 3 or 2 or 1 digit numbers
like this: .5 and (.5) respectively. And the catch is, I only want to
see the decimal point when it's necessary, so 1000 would show up as 1
and not 1.0

Any ideas? I've seen numerous posts about rounding to thousands but
none that address this specific issue. Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Bob, I think we're just going to leave the format alone and set
the column to always show a single decimal place, that way 500 shows
as .5 and 1000 shows as 1.0 .. done deal.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can't do it directly, but if you can do without the parens, one way:

Format/Cells/Number/Custom:

Format/Conditional Format:
CF1: Cell value is less than 0
Format1: <font/<red