Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Selecting part of a number in a cell

I have about 12,000 vin numbers in which I am constantly sorting through.....
What I need to do is find an equation that picks out one letter/number out of
the Vin number and uses that selection to put in another column. Because each
letter/number in the Vin represents something differently, I would like to
find an equation that I could talor, depending on which letter/number in the
Vin I'd like it to pull.

example: Vin numbers 4SRTB6543890, 4VTR7543897, 4XTN7548900

I would like the equation to pull out any vin numbers that have the fifth
item in the vin a "7" . ( which would indicate the year it was made- 2007)--
But expand this search for 12,000 vin numbers.....

Thank you again all!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(ISNUMBER(--MID(A1,5,1)),IF(--MID(A1,5,1)=7,A1,""),"")
or is you want to select the 5th digit by putting 5 in D1, and look for 7 by
putting 7 in E1, then use something like
=IF(ISNUMBER(--MID(A1,D$1,1)),IF(--MID(A1,D$1,1)=E$1,A1,""),"")
--
David Biddulph