Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Automatic Decimal Places?

I want to enter data into cells and not have to type the decimal point every
time. Is there any way to do this? I know you can set the number of places
behind the decimal point, but it still means you have to type the point every
time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

check <tools<options<edit select fixed decimal places and say how many you
want
a 2 entered shows as 0.02 when two is selected
237 entered shows as 23.7 when 1 is selected

"chikalele" wrote:

I want to enter data into cells and not have to type the decimal point every
time. Is there any way to do this? I know you can set the number of places
behind the decimal point, but it still means you have to type the point every
time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you had just typed 12 how could Excel predict whether you were going to type

12.3
123.4
1234.5

I don't think even the 2007 version has come that far yet.

Mike

"chikalele" wrote:

I want to enter data into cells and not have to type the decimal point every
time. Is there any way to do this? I know you can set the number of places
behind the decimal point, but it still means you have to type the point every
time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Mike

If you had just typed 12 how could Excel predict whether you were going to type

See bj's response for answer to this.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"chikalele" wrote:

I want to enter data into cells and not have to type the decimal point every
time. Is there any way to do this? I know you can set the number of places
behind the decimal point, but it still means you have to type the point every
time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi chikalele,

In some situations I find it handy to input my data without decimals
and then use the Paste SpecialDivide capability.

so I can input say;

7
15
1256
2548
6589

Then put 1000 in a cell copy it and then Paste SpecialDivide
and convert the data to;

0.007
0.015
1.256
2.548
6.589

HTH
Martin

"chikalele" wrote:

I want to enter data into cells and not have to type the decimal point every
time. Is there any way to do this? I know you can set the number of places
behind the decimal point, but it still means you have to type the point every
time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I tried that, but it still keeps putting two zeros after the decimal. I went
into tools, edit, etc... and put in two fixed decimal places and 1523 came
out as 1523.00 I'm trying to get it so that if I type 1523 it will
automatically make it 15.23 but I can't seem to get it to work. Please help!