Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional format for the whole row

I found on one of the other posts how to do a row conditional format
using this formula in the "Formula is" option:

=(A1="variable1")+(A1="variable2")

Now the problem I'm having is when I want to copy them down for the
rest of my rows, they either get get scrambled with colors or just
follow colors of the very first row I copied. I'm guessing the obvious
reason has every bit to do with the $ sign in the conditional format.
So I tried to write it without it as well. But by doing that, the
whole row defaults to no color. What can I do to make it copy
correctly?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Try
=MOD(ROW(),2)=1
if you want to format the odd row numbers
or
=MOD(ROW(),2)=0
to format even row numbers

--
Regards

Roger Govier

wrote in message
ups.com...
I found on one of the other posts how to do a row conditional format
using this formula in the "Formula is" option:

=(A1="variable1")+(A1="variable2")

Now the problem I'm having is when I want to copy them down for the
rest of my rows, they either get get scrambled with colors or just
follow colors of the very first row I copied. I'm guessing the obvious
reason has every bit to do with the $ sign in the conditional format.
So I tried to write it without it as well. But by doing that, the
whole row defaults to no color. What can I do to make it copy
correctly?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're right. It is to do with the $ signs.
If you've used A1 in the formatting for cell A1 (and copied down & across),
then each cell will be formatted according to its own contents.
If you use $A1, then the whole of each row will be formatted according to
the content of column A in that row.
If you use A$1, then the format of each column will be governed by the
content of row 1 in that column.
If you use $A$1, then the whole range (rows and columns) will be governed by
the content of cell A1.
--
David Biddulph

wrote in message
ups.com...
I found on one of the other posts how to do a row conditional format
using this formula in the "Formula is" option:

=(A1="variable1")+(A1="variable2")

Now the problem I'm having is when I want to copy them down for the
rest of my rows, they either get get scrambled with colors or just
follow colors of the very first row I copied. I'm guessing the obvious
reason has every bit to do with the $ sign in the conditional format.
So I tried to write it without it as well. But by doing that, the
whole row defaults to no color. What can I do to make it copy
correctly?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Roger,

Thank you. However, while this could be useful if I need to alternate
rows, I am more in need of the colors to follow according to the
conditions set by the user. What David wrote hit the exact spot that I
needed.

For any one searching for anything similar, I should also specify that
I wanted the rows to be colored according to the content in one
column. So to follow what David said, make sure you keep the $ sign in
front of the letter or the column in your formula and not on the
number of the row to keep the column as the consistent value the
condition is following.

Jackson

Hi

Try
=MOD(ROW(),2)=1
if you want to format the odd row numbers
or
=MOD(ROW(),2)=0
to format even row numbers

--
Regards

Roger Govier

wrote in message

ups.com...

I found on one of the other posts how to do a row conditional format
using this formula in the "Formula is" option:

=(A1="variable1")+(A1="variable2")

Now the problem I'm having is when I want to copy them down for the
rest of my rows, they either get get scrambled with colors or just
follow colors of the very first row I copied. I'm guessing the obvious
reason has every bit to do with the $ sign in the conditional format.
So I tried to write it without it as well. But by doing that, the
whole row defaults to no color. What can I do to make it copy
correctly?- Hide quoted text -