Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP

I know how to use VLOOKUP to find data on a different worksheet. I enter
my search criteria on my VLOOKUP worksheet, it goes to the other worksheet,
finds the critera and returns the data I'm looking for.

My question is: Using the VLOOKUP worksheet and returned data, can I
change the returned data on the searched worksheet.

For example:

I have a worksheet with my VLOOKUP criteria established. I look for a part
number on a different worksheet. If that part number is found, the APL,
COG, MCC, and NIIN information are returned.

I need to change the APL, COG, MCC, and NIIN on the worksheet that was
searched. Is there a way I can do this from my VLOOKUP worksheet.

For example, if the APL information that was returned was "000A3333", can I
change that to 000A9999 from my VLOOKUP worksheet?

I'm not sure this is clearly explained. I hope so.

I'm thinking that I need to have a separate worksheet that goes into the
other worksheet, finds the data I looking for and replaces selected data.
For example, I need a worksheet that searches for 123456 on a separate
worksheet and if it finds it, the APL is changed from 000A3333 to 000A9999

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A formula in one cell cannot change any other cell's native value.
Therefore, you need either 1) a manual approach, or 2) a macro.

The issue with the macro is this: how do you provide the macro with the
information needed to change the values in your original lookup table?

"Jerry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

?B?RHVrZSBDYXJleQ==?= wrote
in :

I suspected this was the case. I'll try to set up a find/replace process.
I'm not well versed in Excel formula creation, but I'm learning.

I know I can do a manual find/replace, but I'm not sure about a formula to
do this.

Thanks for the feedback.