Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Subtotal Formula

Hi! ;)

When subtotals have been created in an excel file - when viewing the formula
in the address bar what does the "9" stand for: =SUBTOTAL(9,H2:H23)
--
Thanks, Pat
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pam Pam is offline

Believe it or not, the "9" stands for SUM. See table below for other possible
choices:

1 AVERAGE
2 COUNT
3 COUNTA
4 MAX
5 MIN
6 PRODUCT
7 STDEV
8 STDEVP
9 SUM
10 VAR
11 VARP

"Pat" wrote:

Hi! ;)

When subtotals have been created in an excel file - when viewing the formula
in the address bar what does the "9" stand for: =SUBTOTAL(9,H2:H23)
--
Thanks, Pat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The SUBTOTAL function is multipurpose.....
The first argment value tells it what kind of value to return:

Num Function
1 AVERAGE
2 COUNT
3 COUNTA
4 MAX
5 MIN
6 PRODUCT
7 STDEV
8 STDEVP
9 SUM
10 VAR
11 VARP

In your case.....9 returns a SUM

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Pat" wrote:

Hi! ;)

When subtotals have been created in an excel file - when viewing the formula
in the address bar what does the "9" stand for: =SUBTOTAL(9,H2:H23)
--
Thanks, Pat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK, in my subtotal formula what would 103 and 109 stand for?
=SUBTOTAL(103,A1:A6148
=SUBTOTAL(109,A1:A6148

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

It is all explained in the help file for the SUBTOTAL function,
9 stands for SUM, 2 for COUNT and so on

Peo Sjoblom

"Pat" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Hi! ;)

When subtotals have been created in an excel file - when viewing the
formula
in the address bar what does the "9" stand for: =SUBTOTAL(9,H2:H23)
--
Thanks, Pat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

COUNTA and SUM, but these will not only sum or count visible cells from
filtering they will do it for hidden cells as well. These were introduced in
Excel 2003 and they just added 100 to the previous subtotal. It's in help as
well

Peo Sjoblom