Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default my TEXT function won't work

I have a spreadsheet with columns of data. The data is extracted from a
string using either the MID or LEFT functions, and then I use the TEXT
function to make sure it is formatted as text.One column is surnames which I
need to sort alphabetically A .. Z. Instead of sorting all of the list
alphabetically it sorts most of it, then after Z it has another 20 or so
names starting again from A through to Z.

Am I doing something wrong ... why won't it sort the whole column of names!

.... Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Roger

it may be that you have some extraneous spaces from your formulae.
Assuming your names are in column A, try entering in another column
= TRIM(A1)
and copy down.
Then copy this helper column and Paste SpecialValues back over the
original column A
Then Sort again.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Roger" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with columns of data. The data is extracted from
a string using either the MID or LEFT functions, and then I use the
TEXT function to make sure it is formatted as text.One column is
surnames which I need to sort alphabetically A .. Z. Instead of sorting
all of the list alphabetically it sorts most of it, then after Z it has
another 20 or so names starting again from A through to Z.

Am I doing something wrong ... why won't it sort the whole column of
names!

... Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have tried using TRIM, but all that happens is that I can see the formula
in the cell (ie I can see =TRIM(D2)) and it doesn't actually work. Do I need
to turn this function on somehow to see the result?

Thanks for your help .. Roger

"Roger" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with columns of data. The data is extracted from a
string using either the MID or LEFT functions, and then I use the TEXT
function to make sure it is formatted as text.One column is surnames which
I need to sort alphabetically A .. Z. Instead of sorting all of the list
alphabetically it sorts most of it, then after Z it has another 20 or so
names starting again from A through to Z.

Am I doing something wrong ... why won't it sort the whole column of
names!

... Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You need to format your cell as something other than Text before you
enter your formula.

In article ,
"Roger" wrote:

I have tried using TRIM, but all that happens is that I can see the formula
in the cell (ie I can see =TRIM(D2)) and it doesn't actually work. Do I need
to turn this function on somehow to see the result?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Roger

If the formula is showing in the cell, not the result, then it sounds as
though the cell was formatted as Text.
Format the cell as General, then press F2 to edit, followed by Enter.
This should turn it to a formula.

Take note of JE's post about the non-breaking space character, as Trim
will not remove this.
If you find you have a problem after using trim, try
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(D2,CHAR(160),"")," ","")
Again copy down, then Paste SpecialValues back over the source column.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Roger" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with columns of data. The data is extracted
from a string using either the MID or LEFT functions, and then I use
the TEXT function to make sure it is formatted as text.One column is
surnames which I need to sort alphabetically A .. Z. Instead of
sorting all of the list alphabetically it sorts most of it, then
after Z it has another 20 or so names starting again from A through
to Z.

Am I doing something wrong ... why won't it sort the whole column of
names!

... Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is all very weird !!! I have tried to reformat as you suggest, but it
makes no difference. Even if I type in =TRIM(D2) into a new cell, it still
only shows me the formula. It there some global setting for the worksheet
which forces the view to formulae ?? that I need to reset or uncheck ?

"Roger" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with columns of data. The data is extracted from a
string using either the MID or LEFT functions, and then I use the TEXT
function to make sure it is formatted as text.One column is surnames
which I need to sort alphabetically A .. Z. Instead of sorting all of
the list alphabetically it sorts most of it, then after Z it has another
20 or so names starting again from A through to Z.

Am I doing something wrong ... why won't it sort the whole column of
names!

... Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try Roger Govier's suggestion one more time. I bet you did things out of order.

Or maybe you're looking at formulas:
tools|options|view tab|make sure Formulas is not checked.

"Roger" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with columns of data. The data is extracted from a
string using either the MID or LEFT functions, and then I use the TEXT
function to make sure it is formatted as text.One column is surnames
which I need to sort alphabetically A .. Z. Instead of sorting all of
the list alphabetically it sorts most of it, then after Z it has another
20 or so names starting again from A through to Z.

Am I doing something wrong ... why won't it sort the whole column of
names!

... Roger

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Roger

Try Ctrl+` (that's hold down the control key and press the key to the
left of 1 on the top row of the keyboard)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Roger" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with columns of data. The data is extracted
from a string using either the MID or LEFT functions, and then I
use the TEXT function to make sure it is formatted as text.One
column is surnames which I need to sort alphabetically A .. Z.
Instead of sorting all of the list alphabetically it sorts most of
it, then after Z it has another 20 or so names starting again from
A through to Z.

Am I doing something wrong ... why won't it sort the whole column
of names!

... Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Roger