LatinViolin

Default dates, 1st of month

in cell A1 i have 1-jan-2005. i would like to copy this info down into A2,
A3, A4, etc. as long as i like but each cell should read the next month 1st
day. example:

A1 = 1-jan-2005
A2 = 1-feb-2005
A3 = 1-mar-2005
etc.

what formula do i put in A2 and copy it down such each cell below A2 will
come out with the 1st of the month and change years when necessary?

please help.

JE McGimpsey

Put

1-feb-2005

in A2, then select A1:A2 and drag the fill handle down as far as
necessary.

If you must have a function, one way:

=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,1)

In article ,
"LatinViolin" wrote:

in cell A1 i have 1-jan-2005. i would like to copy this info down into A2,
A3, A4, etc. as long as i like but each cell should read the next month 1st
day. example:

A1 = 1-jan-2005
A2 = 1-feb-2005
A3 = 1-mar-2005
etc.

what formula do i put in A2 and copy it down such each cell below A2 will
come out with the 1st of the month and change years when necessary?

please help.

Tom Ogilvy

Did you put the formula in A2. Is the value in A1 an actual Date value
1-Jan-2005

i.e. if you format A1 as general does it look like: 38353

Actually, the formula works for me even with the string 1-Jan-2005 in A1.
If I make A1 blank, I get #Value, not #Num. I can get a #Num if I put a
negative number in A1

Tom Ogilvy

"LatinViolin" wrote:

in cell A1 i have 1-jan-2005. i would like to copy this info down into

A2,
A3, A4, etc. as long as i like but each cell should read the next month

1st
day. example:

A1 = 1-jan-2005
A2 = 1-feb-2005
A3 = 1-mar-2005
etc.

what formula do i put in A2 and copy it down such each cell below A2

will
come out with the 1st of the month and change years when necessary?

please help.

Month Year Date Format Jamie Excel Worksheet Functions 2 February 7th 05 06:43 PM
How to extract month number from month name PM Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 January 19th 05 03:07 PM
due dates Niki New Users to Excel 4 January 10th 05 04:11 PM
How can i filter dates based on day of month Saurabh Excel Worksheet Functions 1 December 12th 04 05:36 PM
Total number of each month in a column of dates GeorgeF. Excel Worksheet Functions 1 November 19th 04 06:10 PM