Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I recover a lost file after my computer froze?

How do I recover a file in excel after mile computer froze?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Depends on what version of excel you're using--and if you've turned on a
feature.

If you're using xl2002+, you can turn autorecovery on.
Tools|Options|Save Tab

Every so often (user's choice), excel will save a copy of the workbook into a
special location (also user's choice).

If excel crashes (or your pc crashes), then the next time you open excel, excel
will notice the special files in this special location and offer you the choice
to recover from the last saved version.

If you don't have this turned on--or you don't use xl2002+, then this
explanation didn't help.

In earlier versions of excel, (xl2k and below), there was an option for AutoSave
(tools|addins) that actually saved every so often (user's choice). It saved the
actual file--not a backup. So if you screwed up or excel crashed, you'd be able
to go back to a previously saved version--just via File|Open.

If you didn't have that turned on, then you'll only get the last version you
saved.

For the next time....

Jan Karel Pieterse wrote an addin (works in any version) called AutoSafe (note
spelling).

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts
them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from the
recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
(look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

--

Dave Peterson