Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can I find a specific value in a random column of numbers

I have two columns of numbers, A1 = volume & B1 = an associated time
interval. I need to look down column A and find the first time a specific
value appears and then capture its corresponding value in column B to use in
another formula.
Ex: I need to find 237.50 in A and use the corresponding 117.8. Thanks
Col A Col B
220.70 5.60
203.90 12.20
187.10 18.80
170.30 25.40
153.50 32.00
136.70 38.60
119.90 45.20
103.10 51.80
86.30 58.40
69.50 65.00
93.25 71.60
117.00 78.20
140.75 84.80
164.50 91.40
188.25 98.00
212.00 104.60
235.75 111.20
237.50 117.80
237.50 124.40

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can use VLOOKUP but your data will need to be in ascending order by the
lookup column.

=VLOOKUP("237.50",A1:B19,2,0)

HTH,
Paul

"yazmaz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=VLOOKUP(237.5,A1:B19,2,0)

or more generally

=VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$100,2,0)

where C1=237.5

HTH

"yazmaz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks to all that responded but I can not put column A in ascending order
because column A represents the emptying and then filling of a tank (volume)
and Coulmn B represents the time in minutes to complete the process. The
tank volume decreases to a certain point and then starts to increase until it
hits 237.50 and then every volume after that equals 237.50 When I used the
VLOOKUP before, the function pulled the very last 237.5 and the corresponding
time value which is not correct for my needs. Any additional help would be
appreciated.