Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctinos,microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctions

Default TESTING A RANGE OF CELLS

Column A contains names of students who had taken a test.
A B C
Tested All Students

Richard Richard tested
Jason Sam not tested
Greg Tom ?
Susan Greg
John Michelle
Michelle John
Jason
Susan

column B will have the names of students who had taken a test and who had
not, beginning with cell C1 I want to search column A for Richard. If
Richard's name is found on column A, then he had taken a test, then C1 will
have a value of "Tested". Otherwise, if Richard is not found in column A,
then C1 will have a valued of "not tested". I used this formula and it did
not work. =IF(A1:A6=B1,"Tested", "Not tested")

Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctinos,microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctions

Try

=IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$6,B1)0,"Tested","Not Tested)

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
(Remove ^^ from email)

"Richard" <nomailplease.com wrote in message
Column A contains names of students who had taken a test.
A B C
Tested All Students

Richard Richard tested
Jason Sam not tested
Greg Tom ?
Susan Greg
John Michelle
Michelle John
Jason
Susan

column B will have the names of students who had taken a test and who had
not, beginning with cell C1 I want to search column A for Richard. If
Richard's name is found on column A, then he had taken a test, then C1
will have a value of "Tested". Otherwise, if Richard is not found in
column A, then C1 will have a valued of "not tested". I used this formula
and it did not work. =IF(A1:A6=B1,"Tested", "Not tested")

Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctinos,microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctions

Try this:

=IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A$6,B1),"Tested","Not Tested")

Copy down as needed

Biff

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctinos,microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctions

No formula

Sub checklist()
For Each c In Range("b2:b10")
On Error Resume Next
x = Range("a2:a10").Find(c).Row
If c < "" And x 1 Then Cells(x, "c") = "Tested"
Next c

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software