Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to format cells

I would like to format a cell for am/pm without having to use a space in the
middle.
ex 12:00 AM

I would like to type in it as
ex 12:00AM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I looked into the link you sent me but wouldnt that refer my cells to
military time? I am looking for a way the cells can refer AM/PM

"Geoff C" wrote:

No easy way, a custom format can present it like that (h:mmAM/PM), but
there's no equivalent of an informat.

You may be able to adapt the VBA solution at
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

"Chris Cornell" wrote:

I would like to format a cell for am/pm without having to use a space in the
middle.
ex 12:00 AM

I would like to type in it as
ex 12:00AM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you want an easy way to type in times, use 24-hour format. Then you never
need the am/pm. You can still display it in 12-hour format. If that's not
acceptable, the next best is that you don't have to enter an 'am'. You do have
to enter 'pm' (with a space).

Fred

"Chris Cornell" <Chris wrote in message
I would like to format a cell for am/pm without having to use a space in the
middle.
ex 12:00 AM

I would like to type in it as
ex 12:00AM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With a helper column you could use the formula
=IF(RIGHT(A1,2)="AM",MOD(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-2),0.5),IF(RIGHT(A1,2)="PM",MOD(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-2),0.5)+0.5,"invalidsuffix"))You could allow already valid time formats by=IF(ISNUMBER(A1),A1,IF(RIGHT(A1,2)="AM",MOD(LEFT (A1,LEN(A1)-2),0.5),IF(RIGHT(A1,2)="PM",MOD(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-2),0.5)+0.5,"invalid suffix")))--David Biddulph"Chris Cornell" wrote in ... Do you think there may be a way to format the cell allowing the user toput in 12:00AM and automatically converting the cell to read 12:00 AM? "Fred Smith" wrote: If you want an easy way to type in times, use 24-hour format. Then younever need the am/pm. You can still display it in 12-hour format. If that's not acceptable, the next best is that you don't have to enter an 'am'. You dohave to enter 'pm' (with a space). -- Regards, Fred "Chris Cornell" <Chris wrote inmessage ... I would like to format a cell for am/pm without having to use a space inthe middle. ex 12:00 AM I would like to type in it as ex 12:00AM