Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how do I make my spread sheet calulate. I know nothing about excel

To also plan for future 'enhancements' such as finding out how much came in
as cash, how much in other forms, and also what the payment was for (other
than just service) I'd set up 7 columns:
One for the Date
One for the company/person's name
One for the type of service/product
One for method of payment
then in E you would have Total Amount due (payment?)

Now at this point things get fuzzy for me, sounds like the payments can be
made to either you or direct to the business you work at? I'm not clear on
when/how it ends up being a "you owe them" situation. Until you clarify that
part of it, I'll assume that all of the Total Amount due goes to the
business.

in F you figure out how much of the total belongs to you (60%?) and in G,
how much belongs to the company, so if you were in row 2 of the sheet, this
would go into F2
=E2 * .6
and this would go into G2
=E2 * .4
or you could put this into G2 which keeps rounding errors out of things
=E2 - F2

But as I said, until I know how to tell who owes who what, can't go much
further than that.

"Bernice" wrote:

I have never used excel 2003 before. I am trying to keep monthly log of
method of payment for my business. I work as contract worker. The method of
payment from clients vary. Some pay me by check for full amount . Some use
debit or credit card or gift cert. It is a 60%-40% between me and the
business I work at. I need to keep a running log of how much they owe me, or
what I owe them
Example:
3/20 Jane Doe service GC#000 $60.00 +$36.00
3/21 Jane Smith service cash $60.00 -$24.00
3/23 John Smith service debit $60.00 +36.00
Is this to much to ask?

It would keep track of totals at end of page