Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Links to External Workbook

I have used large Excel workbooks with lots of internal links between cells.
I have had to Paste Special into a new workbook when copying a sheet to avoid
creating a link between workbooks. I have not understood what caused this;
only how to avoid.

What characteristics of a workbook causes the link to be established between
2 workbooks? As I train staff in our office who are getting caught with
linked workbooks, I need to understand the cause.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A formula like =A1 wil travel to a new workbook with no change or reference to
original workbook.

However a formula like =Sheet2!A1 will reference the original workbook when
copied to a new workbook.

Excel assumes you want to reference the same cell as original.

One method of copying without the workbook reference is to do an EditReplace
before copying.

EditReplace

What: =

With: ^^^