Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default simple recode operation

I'm not sure if this question belongs to
microsoft.public.excel.programming or to here.

I want to do a simple recode operation.

in a matrix, I want to replace all values with a different code. For
example, if I have say a matrix of names, and I want to get a matrix
of emails, having a table with the mail-name equivalence.

This is probably built in. I'm ashamed to realize how little I know
about excel.

Is this possible without VBA? If so, how?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could create an ADDITIONAL matrix of emails using lookup. Something like

=VLOOKUP(name_cell,names_emails_table,2,False)

fill in the variables there, and just drag this across and down

--
---
HTH

Bob

"urlwolf" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not sure if this question belongs to
microsoft.public.excel.programming or to here.

I want to do a simple recode operation.

in a matrix, I want to replace all values with a different code. For
example, if I have say a matrix of names, and I want to get a matrix
of emails, having a table with the mail-name equivalence.

This is probably built in. I'm ashamed to realize how little I know
about excel.

Is this possible without VBA? If so, how?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Bob,

That'd work. The only downside is that I have to copy and paste the
Vlookup formula to all the cells that I want recoded, and each time
the target cells are "moved". Since the range names_emails is constant
-the translation table, so to speak-, it should not change when
extending the Vlookup formula. I'm sure this is basic too.

It is a pretty large table, so any help in terms of not having to re-
accommodate the range manually would be appreciated.

Bob Phillips wrote:
You could create an ADDITIONAL matrix of emails using lookup. Something like

=VLOOKUP(name_cell,names_emails_table,2,False)

fill in the variables there, and just drag this across and down

--
---
HTH

Bob

"urlwolf" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not sure if this question belongs to
microsoft.public.excel.programming or to here.

I want to do a simple recode operation.

in a matrix, I want to replace all values with a different code. For
example, if I have say a matrix of names, and I want to get a matrix
of emails, having a table with the mail-name equivalence.

This is probably built in. I'm ashamed to realize how little I know
about excel.

Is this possible without VBA? If so, how?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you use defined names for both the name_cell matrix and the names_emails
range then moving them should not be an issue.

--
---
HTH

Bob

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:
You could create an ADDITIONAL matrix of emails using lookup. Something
like

=VLOOKUP(name_cell,names_emails_table,2,False)

fill in the variables there, and just drag this across and down

--
---
HTH

Bob