frankybenali

Default Array Formula

Cell A1 contains the text "TomJonAlf".

I am trying to separate the text into three text strings using an array
formula.

I have got so far but I am stuck now.

In cells A2 to A9 I have entered the array formula:

{=MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),3)}

This creates the following array:

Tom
omJ
mJo
Jon
onA
nAl
Alf
lf

I was hoping to use the following array formula to return Tom, Jon and
Alf:

{=INDEX(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),3),{1,4 ,7})}

But it just returns Tom. What am I doing wrong?

I know I could achieve this in a simpler way but I need to use the
results in a further step that I know demands an array.

Thanks

--
frankybenali
frankybenali's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18707