Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Saving without deleting previous input

For the sake of expediency let's say I have 2 worksheets. 1 is the master
sheet that I use for data input on a monthly basis. #2 would be an individual
sheet that a line on #1 refers to. Each month I enter data into 7 cells in a
row on sheet 1 and the info goes to the respective individual page( in this
case, page 2)that has an equal 7 cells in a row. When I enter data each
following month it enters into the 7 cells only the next row down to show the
info for that month. All works well except when I enter data into the cells
for the following month, it deletes the data from the month before and enters
the new data in that months' cells too. How do I get it to enter in this
month yet not change the month before?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

From your description, you must be using a macro when 'the info goes to the
respective individual page'.

Tell us how the information 'goes' to the respective page -- either the formula
or the macro, and we'll help you figure out how to fix it.

Fred

"kdmarvin" <u32449@uwe wrote in message news:6f1ee83172748@uwe...
For the sake of expediency let's say I have 2 worksheets. 1 is the master
sheet that I use for data input on a monthly basis. #2 would be an individual
sheet that a line on #1 refers to. Each month I enter data into 7 cells in a
row on sheet 1 and the info goes to the respective individual page( in this
case, page 2)that has an equal 7 cells in a row. When I enter data each
following month it enters into the 7 cells only the next row down to show the
info for that month. All works well except when I enter data into the cells
for the following month, it deletes the data from the month before and enters
the new data in that months' cells too. How do I get it to enter in this
month yet not change the month before?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

" =IF(Master!$A$239172,Master!C$3,) "
I am a complete novice and have been told to 'go away' by several excel help
sites so if you feel I am not far enough along to participate, please say so.
I will understand. This is how I get the data from sheet 1 to enter into the
respective cell on sheet 2. This formula is in a cell in sheet 2. I used the
numerical for the month (39172)because I couldn't get it to work
automatically (=TODAY()) from sheet 1 otherwise. Next month I will re-enter
data into the same 7 cells on Sheet 1 and the data will enter into the proper
cells in Sheet 2 (D7:I7) due to the numerical month, then the following month
(D8:I8) and so on.How do I get it to enter without redoing the previous
month's data? Is there an IF.... 'SAVE' command? Or something along the lines
of IF....IGNORE?I even bought a course from Ozgrid and still have been unable
to figure this out.
Thank you in advance for all your help.

Fred Smith wrote:
From your description, you must be using a macro when 'the info goes to the
respective individual page'.

Tell us how the information 'goes' to the respective page -- either the formula
or the macro, and we'll help you figure out how to fix it.

For the sake of expediency let's say I have 2 worksheets. 1 is the master
sheet that I use for data input on a monthly basis. #2 would be an individual

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
the new data in that months' cells too. How do I get it to enter in this
month yet not change the month before?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Why do you enter data into the same cells on Sheet1 each week, only to
have them transferred to Sheet2 (hopefully to the next row on that
sheet) each time?
Why not just enter the 7 items of data, directly onto Sheet2 into the
successive row each week?
I can't see what you gain by entering tot he first sheet, as the data is
going to be destroyed the following week.

If you want to mail a copy of your workbook direct to me (not to the
newsgroup) with an explanation of what you are trying to achieve, I will
take a look and see if I can provide some suggestions for a solution.

To mail direct, remove NOSPAM from my email address.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"kdmarvin via OfficeKB.com" <u32449@uwe wrote in message
[...]

Fred Smith wrote:
From your description, you must be using a macro when 'the info goes
to the
respective individual page'.

Tell us how the information 'goes' to the respective page -- either
the formula
or the macro, and we'll help you figure out how to fix it.

For the sake of expediency let's say I have 2 worksheets. 1 is the
master
sheet that I use for data input on a monthly basis. #2 would be an
individual

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
the new data in that months' cells too. How do I get it to enter in
this
month yet not change the month before?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't see an email address to send to...or I just don't know where to look.

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

Why do you enter data into the same cells on Sheet1 each week, only to
have them transferred to Sheet2 (hopefully to the next row on that
sheet) each time?
Why not just enter the 7 items of data, directly onto Sheet2 into the
successive row each week?
I can't see what you gain by entering tot he first sheet, as the data is
going to be destroyed the following week.

If you want to mail a copy of your workbook direct to me (not to the
newsgroup) with an explanation of what you are trying to achieve, I will
take a look and see if I can provide some suggestions for a solution.

To mail direct, remove NOSPAM from my email address.

" =IF(Master!$A$239172,Master!C$3,) "
I am a complete novice and have been told to 'go away' by several

[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]
this
month yet not change the month before?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

roger at technology4uNOSPAM dot uk

Make the obvious replacements for at and dot, and remove NOSPAM

Most of us don't like to publish our email address in"real mode" as it
gets picked up and used by the spammers.

--

Roger Govier wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm sorry you've been told to 'go away' at other sites. I've been monitoring
this site for years. The responders here are some of the most patient,
knowledgeable people I've ever seen. I've never seen anyone been told to go
away, unless they've been belligerent or attack people personally. However,
there are people who don't get the answer they're looking for simply because we
can't understand them.

I agree with Roger. Why don't you just enter the data on sheet2? If that's not
possible, here are some pointers.

What's in Master!$A$2? Is it today's date?
You talk about 'numerical month' but never use Month in your formula, you also
talk about 7 days' worth of input, which leads us to believe your dealing with a
week's worth, but again, never talk about weeks.
Date 39172 is Mar 31/07. It will be easier to read your code if you use
=date(2007,3,31)

However, if you want the last day of the current month, it's:
=date(year(today()),month(today())+1,0)
This is one of the secrets of Excel: it figures the zeroth of the following
month is the last day of the previous month.

Again, tell us what you are trying to achieve. Under what circumstances do you
want D7:I7 filled? Under what circumstances do you want D8:I8 filled? Once you
explain what you need, you will get your answers here, regardless of your skill
level in Excel.

Fred

[...]

Fred Smith wrote:
From your description, you must be using a macro when 'the info goes to the
respective individual page'.

Tell us how the information 'goes' to the respective page -- either the
formula
or the macro, and we'll help you figure out how to fix it.

For the sake of expediency let's say I have 2 worksheets. 1 is the master
sheet that I use for data input on a monthly basis. #2 would be an
individual

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
the new data in that months' cells too. How do I get it to enter in this
month yet not change the month before?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sheet 1 is a list of buildings (approx. 45). There are 2 fire extinguishers
and 1 smoke alarm in each.Behind each building name is a cell for good or bad
for each extinguisher and good and bad for the smoke alarm. The 7th cell
refers to comments ( changed out alarm etc). Cell A2 on the Master sheet is
=TODAY(). Sheet 2 is actually one of 45 that is an individual building as
referred to by sheet 1. It has the same 7 cells as sheet 1 except it only
refers to the one building and each row of 7 cells is a different month(Row 3
January, Row 4 February, etc.). This list would allow us to see the entire
year of inspection results on any particular building.

What I am trying to do is to enter the data once on the Master sheet and have
it show on the individual sheet automatically so I will have an ongoing
inspection record of all the buildings.

What happens is when I enter data in March, it shows in the correct month's
cells on each building sheet but it updates the March data into February and
January as well. I don't know how to get it to enter without updating in the
previous month's cells. (I used the numerical numbers for the date in the
formula because I don't know how to use the month and have it work).It would
be easier to use just a month's name somehow instead of the =TODAY and refer
to a range of numbers thing in A2 of the Master sheet, and it would make it
better for me to not have to keep counting all those numbers.

Fred Smith wrote:
I'm sorry you've been told to 'go away' at other sites. I've been monitoring
this site for years. The responders here are some of the most patient,
knowledgeable people I've ever seen. I've never seen anyone been told to go
away, unless they've been belligerent or attack people personally. However,
there are people who don't get the answer they're looking for simply because we
can't understand them.

I agree with Roger. Why don't you just enter the data on sheet2? If that's not
possible, here are some pointers.

What's in Master!$A$2? Is it today's date?
You talk about 'numerical month' but never use Month in your formula, you also
talk about 7 days' worth of input, which leads us to believe your dealing with a
week's worth, but again, never talk about weeks.
Date 39172 is Mar 31/07. It will be easier to read your code if you use
=date(2007,3,31)

However, if you want the last day of the current month, it's:
=date(year(today()),month(today())+1,0)
This is one of the secrets of Excel: it figures the zeroth of the following
month is the last day of the previous month.

Again, tell us what you are trying to achieve. Under what circumstances do you
want D7:I7 filled? Under what circumstances do you want D8:I8 filled? Once you
explain what you need, you will get your answers here, regardless of your skill
level in Excel.

" =IF(Master!$A$239172,Master!C$3,) "
I am a complete novice and have been told to 'go away' by several excel help

[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]
the new data in that months' cells too. How do I get it to enter in this
month yet not change the month before?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Forget about the 45 extra sheets.
Add one extra column to Sheet1 headed Date
Put the relevant month date in this column as you enter each successive
line , including the relevant Building name on each line.

Mark the header row, DataFilterAutofilter
use the dropdown on Building name to select any building, and you will
see all results for that building alone.

--

Fred Smith wrote:
[...]

Date 39172 is Mar 31/07. It will be easier to read your code if you
use
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Roger,

By Golly it works. I had been going in the wrong direction all the time.
Thank you so much for setting me straight. And thanks to all the folks here
for the great help.Us 'Newbies' really do need you.

Kirk

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

Forget about the 45 extra sheets.
Add one extra column to Sheet1 headed Date
Put the relevant month date in this column as you enter each successive
line , including the relevant Building name on each line.

Mark the header row, DataFilterAutofilter
use the dropdown on Building name to select any building, and you will
see all results for that building alone.

Sheet 1 is a list of buildings (approx. 45). There are 2 fire
extinguishers

[quoted text clipped - 82 lines]