-   -   Month Name from a date (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/134489-month-name-date.html)

pablo bellissimo

Month Name from a date

Hi All,
How can I get the month name from a full date?

Cell A1 contains 28/02/07 and all I want is for the cell value of B1 to be
February.

I know I can format the dd/mm/yy but when I put this in a pivot table it
lists each date individually.

The only solution I have is to do a vlookup to a range listing which month
number equals which month name.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Vergel Adriano

Month Name from a date

Pablo,

If you want the 3-letter month abbreviation:

=TEXT(A1, "mmm")

If you want to full month name:

=TEXT(A1, "mmmm")

"pablo bellissimo" wrote:

Hi All,
How can I get the month name from a full date?

Cell A1 contains 28/02/07 and all I want is for the cell value of B1 to be
February.

I know I can format the dd/mm/yy but when I put this in a pivot table it
lists each date individually.

The only solution I have is to do a vlookup to a range listing which month
number equals which month name.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Dave F

Month Name from a date

=Text(A1,"mmmm") assuming the date is in cell A1 will return the month
spelled out in full.

Dave