Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How could I get a random sample from an Excel Sheet

This is a single column example, can be expanded to more than one column:

1. If the data is in A1 thru A3000, copy the data to column B
2. In C1 thru C3000 enter:
=RAND()
3. sort columns B&C by C ( leave A alone)
this randomizes column B
4. Pull the top 300 records out of column B
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200709

"SAZFFXCTY" wrote:

I am trying to create a sample from an excel report which contains about 3000
records. I would like to pick certain fields from this report and create a
separate file for about 10% of the records. Is there a way that I will be
able to create this kind of sample from the data.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Syed Zaman