Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I only delete/clear the visible cells in a filtered list?

This one puzzles me. In Excel 2003, using the filter command, I could select
a range of visible cells and delete or clear the contents of those cells
without deleting or clearing the contents of the hidden cells which had been
filtered out of view. I find that the same action now in Excel 2007, causes
both visible and hidden cell data to be deleted/cleared. Question: is there
a setting to correct this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

I have just tried this with XL2007 and I get inconsistent results.
Sometimes it does behave exactly like XL2003 and only clears the
contents of the visible cells, and sometimes it clears everything
between the first and last visible rows.

Having applied the Autofilter, selected the rows required, if I right
click and choose Clear Contents it "seems" to behave correctly. If I
press the Delete button, it usually clears the lot.

So far, I have not been able to determine exactly what conditions cause
it to work consistently.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Merv" wrote in message
This one puzzles me. In Excel 2003, using the filter command, I could
select
a range of visible cells and delete or clear the contents of those
cells
without deleting or clearing the contents of the hidden cells which
had been
filtered out of view. I find that the same action now in Excel 2007,
causes
both visible and hidden cell data to be deleted/cleared. Question: is
there
a setting to correct this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A simple test work for me

But I notice that a useful shortcut is not working in Excel 2007

Ctrl ;
it select all visible cells in the selection

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Merv" wrote in message
This one puzzles me. In Excel 2003, using the filter command, I could
select
a range of visible cells and delete or clear the contents of those
cells
without deleting or clearing the contents of the hidden cells which
had been
filtered out of view. I find that the same action now in Excel 2007,
causes
both visible and hidden cell data to be deleted/cleared. Question: is
there
a setting to correct this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

After a good test

Alt ; seems to work in 2007, only if there are only visible cells in the selection in Excel 2003
you see a msgbox.

You not see the msgbox in Excel 2007