Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Setting up a cell that contains text and a data reference?

I believe there is a way to set up a cell so that I can have text and a
formula in the same cell.

For example, I want to have a cell say "for the period ended (ref)". and
the reference would be to another cell on the worksheet.

any help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not sure exactly what you mean but in any cell

="for the period ended "&A1

would concatenate whatever was in A1 to the end of the string.

Does that work?

Mike

"Melanie" wrote:

I believe there is a way to set up a cell so that I can have text and a
formula in the same cell.

For example, I want to have a cell say "for the period ended (ref)". and
the reference would be to another cell on the worksheet.

any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Melanie,

If the (ref) part is a date, you will need use something like the
following formula:

="For the period ended " & DAY(B1)&"/"&MONTH(B1)&"/"&YEAR(B1)

Where B1 is the cell with the ref in it.

Otherwise, excel will just display the date as a number e.g. "For the
period ended 86928"

Cheers - David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Aaah! Cheers for that Dave. I couldnt find the worksheet function
equivalent of Format().