Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Checks whether a value is text or number

I want to make a function which returns a value if an entry is text and
another value if the entry is a number.

For example:

If A1=text, "True", If A1=number, "False
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try.

=if(cell("type",A1)="l","Message for Label","Message for Number")

"l" is lower case L.

"Type" Text value corresponding to the type of data in the cell. Returns "b"
for blank if the cell is empty, "l" for label if the cell contains a text
constant, and "v" for value if the cell contains anything else.

"robertc" wrote:

Thank you, ISNUMBER is the right function I want. It actually works but at
long as I change the value from text to number or vice versa, the function
output doesn't update. Why is that?

"john" wrote:

Try =NOT(ISNUMBER(A1))
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)