-   -   Find/Replace but not exactly... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/131973-find-replace-but-not-exactly.html)

Steph

Find/Replace but not exactly...

I have a .csv file that I've pasted into an EXCEL 2002 worksheet. In one
column, the string "All GL Accounts" appears in multiple cells. I need to
locate those cells and then BOLD the entire row where those cells are
located. Can someone tell me a reasonably simple way to do this without
visually searching through over 1400 rows? I hope so! :)
--
Thanks so much!

Gary''s Student

Find/Replace but not exactly...

You can use Conditional Formatting to hi-light an entire row of cells based
on the value in one of the cells:

http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat02.html
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200707

"steph" wrote:

I have a .csv file that I've pasted into an EXCEL 2002 worksheet. In one
column, the string "All GL Accounts" appears in multiple cells. I need to
locate those cells and then BOLD the entire row where those cells are
located. Can someone tell me a reasonably simple way to do this without
visually searching through over 1400 rows? I hope so! :)
--
Thanks so much!

Steph

Find/Replace but not exactly...

It makes sense to use conditional formatting but I can't quite get it to
work. Maybe if i give you an example you could get me over the finish line...
In column E there is an alpha-numeric string "xxxxxx - title". The last
time that particular string is displayed, column F will display the string
"All GL Accounts".

col E col F
abcdef - title 123456
abcdef - title 123456
abcdef - title All GL Accounts
ghijkl - title 456789

I will need to highlight the entire 3rd row of the data above.
Hope this helps.
--
Thanks so much!

"steph" wrote:

I have a .csv file that I've pasted into an EXCEL 2002 worksheet. In one
column, the string "All GL Accounts" appears in multiple cells. I need to
locate those cells and then BOLD the entire row where those cells are
located. Can someone tell me a reasonably simple way to do this without
visually searching through over 1400 rows? I hope so! :)
--
Thanks so much!

Gord Dibben

Find/Replace but not exactly...

steph

DataFilterAutofilter for"All GL Accounts"

Then F5SpecialVisible cells onlyOK

Format to Bold.

Remove the Filter.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:40:08 -0800, steph
wrote:

I have a .csv file that I've pasted into an EXCEL 2002 worksheet. In one
column, the string "All GL Accounts" appears in multiple cells. I need to
locate those cells and then BOLD the entire row where those cells are
located. Can someone tell me a reasonably simple way to do this without
visually searching through over 1400 rows? I hope so! :)

Steph

Find/Replace but not exactly...

Gary's student...I finally got the conditional formatting to work. I was
focused on using the "Cell Value Is" feature instead of the "Formula Is"
feature. Much appreciate the tip.
--
Thanks so much!