Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default random assignments of workload to set # of people

We have 45 different defined tasks that need to be randomly and evenly
distributed each week to the same 4 people. Can this be done with functions
or do we need to program a solution? Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dawn
--
Dawn Bjork Buzbee
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Here's a quick formulas model to play with ..

Presuming the 44* tasks are listed in A1:A44
*44 not 45, to make it divisible by 4 persons <g

Put in B1: =RAND()
Put in C1: =INDEX($A$1:$A$44,RANK(B1,$B$1:$B$44))
Select B1:C1, copy down to C44.
(C1:C44 returns a random scramble of the 44 tasks in col A)

Then list the names of the 4 persons in E1:H1
Place in E2: =OFFSET($C$1,ROW(A1)*4+COLUMN(A1)-5,)
Copy E2 across to H2, fill down by 11 rows to H12. The above returns a
randomized assignment of all 44 tasks in col A, 11 tasks below each name.
Pressing F9 will regenerate a fresh assignment. Just copy E1:H12 & paste
special as values elsewhere as may be desired.
--
Max
Singapore
"Dawn Bjork Buzbee" wrote:
We have 45 different defined tasks that need to be randomly and evenly
distributed each week to the same 4 people. Can this be done with functions
or do we need to program a solution? Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dawn
--
Dawn Bjork Buzbee