Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Question regarding the "Sin" function

Hi,
Just a quick question regarding the Sin function. When i use the sin
function on my calculator, in degrees mode, it returns a differnet value to
excel.
Say the sin of 30, (in degrees mode) Sin30=0.5 (On my calculator)
the Sin of 30, Sin30=-0.988 (On Excel)

How can i get it return the same value as my calculator?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

XL uses radians. From XL Help ("Sin"):

If your argument is in degrees, multiply it by PI()/180 or use the
RADIANS function to convert it to radians.

So

=SIN(30*PI()/180)

or

=SIN(RADIANS(30))

returns 0.5. This is explained in XL Help.

In article ,
Bill wrote:

Hi,
Just a quick question regarding the Sin function. When i use the sin
function on my calculator, in degrees mode, it returns a differnet value to
excel.
Say the sin of 30, (in degrees mode) Sin30=0.5 (On my calculator)
the Sin of 30, Sin30=-0.988 (On Excel)

How can i get it return the same value as my calculator?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If 30 degrees is in A1
=SIN(A1*PI()/180)

Regards,
Stefi

€˛Bill€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Hi,
Just a quick question regarding the Sin function. When i use the sin
function on my calculator, in degrees mode, it returns a differnet value to
excel.
Say the sin of 30, (in degrees mode) Sin30=0.5 (On my calculator)
the Sin of 30, Sin30=-0.988 (On Excel)

How can i get it return the same value as my calculator?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thats great Mike, thank you very much.

"Mike" wrote:

=SIN(RADIANS(30))

Try this

"Bill" wrote:

Hi,
Just a quick question regarding the Sin function. When i use the sin
function on my calculator, in degrees mode, it returns a differnet value to
excel.
Say the sin of 30, (in degrees mode) Sin30=0.5 (On my calculator)
the Sin of 30, Sin30=-0.988 (On Excel)

How can i get it return the same value as my calculator?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your welcome and thank you for the feedback

"Bill" wrote:

Thats great Mike, thank you very much.

"Mike" wrote:

=SIN(RADIANS(30))