Old February 16th 07, 08:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel: Change Direction of Group/Outline Function

I am using a 4 level Outline in my spreadsheet... I'd like the cascade of
the outline to go from left to right.

IE: my sheet has twenty columns and are grouped in four columns each. I
would like the outline to group as follows:
columns 5-8 displayed, then
columns 9-12, then
columns 13-16, then
columns 17-20 last

The reason is that this is an explanding sheet so as needed you add groups
of columns in fours to the right side of the document.
Excel insists on doing just the opposite... I need help please.

Old February 17th 07, 07:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't think I understand you.

You *can't* form *different* groups from contiguous columns.
XL requires a "totaling' or "summary" column between each individual group.

If you group Columns E to H, you *cannot* create a group of Columns I to L.
If you try, XL will simply combine them into a *single* group.

Or am I not following you at all?

However, if you would leave a column in between each group as a summary
column, XL by default, designates this *ungrouped* summary column to be on
the right side of the group (or on the bottom for grouped rows). This is
where it (XL) places the "+" and "-" signs to expand or collapse the group.

To change this default setting from "right" to "left" (or "bottom" to
"top"),
<Data <Group&Outline <Settings
And check or uncheck the desired configuration.
--
HTH,

RD

Old February 21st 07, 04:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank-you for you post... You were following what I was triing to do, and
your right I can't do what I was wanhting to do... So I have moved on in a
different direction. Thanks anyway.

Old April 17th 12, 04:30 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagDyeR View Post
(snip)

However, if you would leave a column in between each group as a summary
column, XL by default, designates this *ungrouped* summary column to be on
the right side of the group (or on the bottom for grouped rows). This is
where it (XL) places the "+" and "-" signs to expand or collapse the group.

To change this default setting from "right" to "left" (or "bottom" to "top"),
<Data <Group&Outline <Settings
And check or uncheck the desired configuration.

(snip)
In case anyone is reading this page looking for an answer to the question for Excel 2010 (with ribbon)…

Find the ‘outline’ group within the ‘data’ ribbon (you’re probably there already), and click the tiny arrow in the bottom right of that group. You’ll get a dialog box that lets you change where the summary rows go (left or right).