Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default vlookup problem

I have a vlookup formula setup as follows:
=VLOOKUP(A7,'[sp 500 constituents.xls]Classification'!A$2:J$501,5,0)
The value listed in column 5 on "the sp 500 constituents" spreadsheet has a
8 digit number. This value is only showing the first 4 digits in the second
spreadsheet, where I need data. I have checked the format, so that they both
show as numbers. What could be the problem as to why the result only shows
the first 4 digits? Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What if you try the INDEX/MATCH equivalent? Does it produce the same
problem?

=INDEX(E$2:E$501,MATCH(A7,'[sp 500 constituents.xls]Classification'!A
$2:A$501,0))

Does anything change?
Kostis Vezerides