Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Entering data

I want to enter a data item in my spreadsheet and have the entry filtered by
catagory to another range for summing (the summing can be a separate step.
For example, entering a expense item where the entry goes in to a range with
other data nd the entry is also placed in another range defined by category.
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok I read up on VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP, interesting tools but not quite what I'm
looking for. SUMIF does not seem to be the tool either. Maybe I'm going about
this the wrong way. What I think I need is a way to save an entry in a CELL I
choose (next to an entry from a pull down from a CATEGORY list) and to also
copy that entry to a RANGE column identified by the categories from the list.
Seems possible but I can't figure out the right tools to use. Any other ideas?

"Mark" wrote:

I want to enter a data item in my spreadsheet and have the entry filtered by
catagory to another range for summing (the summing can be a separate step.
For example, entering a expense item where the entry goes in to a range with
other data nd the entry is also placed in another range defined by category.
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It is extremely difficult to give you advice without knowing what type of
information is available in the workbook, and in what layout it is in on the
worksheets.

What I envisioned when I suggested one of the xLOOKUP() functions
(specifically VLOOKUP()) is that somewhere in your workbook you'd have a
large table, and the layout of that table would be

item category
item category
.... ...

Since this would probably best on a separate worksheet, you would want to
use named ranges (look for help on naming ranges - actually very easy), and
give a name to the entire table ( maybe ItemCategoryTable ) and a separate
name for the cells containing the list of items ( ItemList )

then in the sheet where you are working (Sheet1) you could set up Data
Validation to get the items displayed for selection by setting their property
to List and setting the source range as =ItemList
Note: limit for items in such a list in Excel 2003 is 1024.
To get the category to display automatically you could put this formula into
a column of cells on the same row with each entry (assume row 2 here, column
B, with column A having the data validated list cells)

in B2
=VLOOKUP(A2,ItemCategoryTable,2,0)
or if your lookup of category based on item entered is on another sheet:
=VLOOKUP('Sheet1'!A2,ItemCategoryTable,2,0)

But I'm stabbing in the dark a lot here, not knowing more details of what's
in your workbook now and how it's laid out.