Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IMPORTING from Scottrade GAINSKEEPER table?

How can I import data (numbers) from HTML-tables and reformat the numbers so
that they can be added, multiplied etc. The standard method of PASTE SPECIAL
does not work. Copying the table and importing it into WORD and EXCEL is
easy; thereafter the manipulation only yields "0" (zero) and #VALUE!.
Apparently the numbers are imported with formatting attached by the HTML
table. Can these numbers be converted to text, general or EXCEL 2003 numbers?

ed in amsterdam; plant tulips, eat herring, enjoy a DUTCH moment!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I just tested this by copying data from a table on a web site, pasting it
into Excel, then selecting the cells, right clicking, selecting format cells,
and formatting as text.

Then I was able to perform calculations on the numbers.

Does that not work for you?

Dave

"amsterdam-quick" wrote:

How can I import data (numbers) from HTML-tables and reformat the numbers so
that they can be added, multiplied etc. The standard method of PASTE SPECIAL
does not work. Copying the table and importing it into WORD and EXCEL is
easy; thereafter the manipulation only yields "0" (zero) and #VALUE!.
Apparently the numbers are imported with formatting attached by the HTML
table. Can these numbers be converted to text, general or EXCEL 2003 numbers?

ed in amsterdam; plant tulips, eat herring, enjoy a DUTCH moment!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perhaps the spaces are not regular spaces but html non-breaking spaces.

You could try edit/replace

what: ALT + 0160(on numpad)

with: nothing

Or run David McRitchie's TRIMALL macro found at

Please note the link to Chip Pearson's CELLVIEW add-in which can show you
exactly which characters are in the cell.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP