Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default A pasted formula won't calculate?

I have copied a full 156 sheet workbook completely as another sheet to add
about 32 more sheets to the group. Everything worked fine however all the
formulated cells do not calculate in the new workbook sheets unless I some
how activate them by clicking in the formulated cell and hitting enter. Each
cell is retaining the value it had from the old sheet and has the proper
formula in it to calcuate its own sheets but will not pull the values from
the new sheets until I click in the cell and hit enter to reactivate the
current formula. My question is , is there anyway I can get the enitre
workbook and/or even sheet by sheet to calcuate without having to click in
and out of every box to reactivate them?

Thanks,
Paula
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

check <tools<options<Calculation
see if it is set to automatic
also try (F9) to calc now

"PaulaJ" wrote:

I have copied a full 156 sheet workbook completely as another sheet to add
about 32 more sheets to the group. Everything worked fine however all the
formulated cells do not calculate in the new workbook sheets unless I some
how activate them by clicking in the formulated cell and hitting enter. Each
cell is retaining the value it had from the old sheet and has the proper
formula in it to calcuate its own sheets but will not pull the values from
the new sheets until I click in the cell and hit enter to reactivate the
current formula. My question is , is there anyway I can get the enitre
workbook and/or even sheet by sheet to calcuate without having to click in
and out of every box to reactivate them?

Thanks,
Paula

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No it didnt I tried cal sheet and f9. The only thing I can do is click the
cell and put my cursor in the cell in the top formula bar like I am going to
type something in the cell with the formula in it and hit enter. Then it
accepts the formula in the cell that is already there and written but seems
to not activate. I tried all the auto calcuates though :(

"PaulaJ" wrote:

I have copied a full 156 sheet workbook completely as another sheet to add
about 32 more sheets to the group. Everything worked fine however all the
formulated cells do not calculate in the new workbook sheets unless I some
how activate them by clicking in the formulated cell and hitting enter. Each
cell is retaining the value it had from the old sheet and has the proper
formula in it to calcuate its own sheets but will not pull the values from
the new sheets until I click in the cell and hit enter to reactivate the
current formula. My question is , is there anyway I can get the enitre
workbook and/or even sheet by sheet to calcuate without having to click in
and out of every box to reactivate them?

Thanks,
Paula

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Paula

Select the formula cells.

EditReplace

What: =

With: =

Replace all. This resets the formulas to formulas in most cases.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"PaulaJ" wrote:

I have copied a full 156 sheet workbook completely as another sheet to add
about 32 more sheets to the group. Everything worked fine however all the
formulated cells do not calculate in the new workbook sheets unless I some
how activate them by clicking in the formulated cell and hitting enter. Each
cell is retaining the value it had from the old sheet and has the proper
formula in it to calcuate its own sheets but will not pull the values from
the new sheets until I click in the cell and hit enter to reactivate the
current formula. My question is , is there anyway I can get the enitre
workbook and/or even sheet by sheet to calcuate without having to click in
and out of every box to reactivate them?

Thanks,
Paula

Junior Member

I've had a similar problem with excel.

I'm pasting data from one excel document onto another (using paste special/values). A formula on another sheet of the workbook then fails to calculate and displays "FALSE" until I double click the cells where I've pasted data. This seems to only happen when the pasted data has the value "0". Here's a sample of the function I'm using:

=IF((OR(Hardcopy!Q$7="", Hardcopy!Q$7=":", Hardcopy!Q$7="0", Hardcopy!Q$7="1"))=TRUE,1,IF(Hardcopy!Q$7="1:2",(1 25/250),IF(Hardcopy!Q$7="1:4",(63/250),IF(Hardcopy!Q$7="1:10",(25/250),IF(Hardcopy!Q$7="1:20",(13/250),IF(Hardcopy!Q$7="1:40",(6/250)))))))

So in this example, when I copy-paste a "0" into Q7, the function displays "FALSE". Once I double click Q7 and hit ENTER (or otherwise navigate away from the cell) the formula will display "1" as it should.

EDIT:
It appears that the formula doesn't calculate if there's any "0" in any part of the cell I'm pasting. For example, the formula also won't calculate if I paste in "1:10", "1:20", or "1:40". "1:2" and "1:4" seem to work just fine however.
I can get around this by highlighting the field where I'll be pasting data and changing the formatting to "Text" before I paste the values in, but and cells that contain only "0" will still result in the formula yielding "FALSE".
Additionally, I've tried the Find/Replace "0" with "0" recommendation, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Last edited by APDean : July 22nd 10 at 06:00 PM Reason: Additional useful information descovered.
Junior Member

Try pressing CTRL+ALT+F9. I've just had the same problem. F9 will recalculate formulas that have changed since the last calculation, and formulas dependent on them. If for some reason Excel thinks it has already recalculated a formula, then it will ignore that formula however often F9 is pressed. CTRL+ALT+F9 recalculates all formulas in all open workbooks, regardless of whether they have changed since last time or not. I found this on a Microsoft page: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...010054149.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJ View Post