Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Celll Address Lookup

I have a list of cell addresses to be looked-up by their ids in column
A and B:

1,F1
2,M31
3,G6

etc.

now, what I want to do is create a lookup formula that will take the
integer result from a cell D3 and lookup the value in the cell that
corresponds with that integer.

I tried:
=cell("contents", vlookup(D3, A:B,2,false))

but that doesn't work because the vlookup returns a string.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Use INDIRECT, viz.: =INDIRECT(VLOOKUP(D3,A:B,2,FALSE))
--
Max
Singapore
"Jason Lepack" wrote:
I have a list of cell addresses to be looked-up by their ids in column
A and B:

1,F1
2,M31
3,G6

etc.

now, what I want to do is create a lookup formula that will take the
integer result from a cell D3 and lookup the value in the cell that
corresponds with that integer.

I tried:
=cell("contents", vlookup(D3, A:B,2,false))

but that doesn't work because the vlookup returns a string.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jason,
you need one of the functions that return ranges, not values:

=CELL("contents",INDIRECT("B"&MATCH(D3,A:A,0)))

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

On Feb 9, 3:38 pm, "Jason Lepack" wrote:
I have a list of cell addresses to be looked-up by their ids in column
A and B:

1,F1
2,M31
3,G6

etc.

now, what I want to do is create a lookup formula that will take the
integer result from a cell D3 and lookup the value in the cell that
corresponds with that integer.

I tried:
=cell("contents", vlookup(D3, A:B,2,false))

but that doesn't work because the vlookup returns a string.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Jason Lepack" wrote:
I have a list of cell addresses to be looked-up by their ids in column
A and B:

1,F1
2,M31
3,G6

etc.

now, what I want to do is create a lookup formula that will take the
integer result from a cell D3 and lookup the value in the cell that
corresponds with that integer.

I tried:
=cell("contents", vlookup(D3, A:B,2,false))

but that doesn't work because the vlookup returns a string.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason- Hide quoted text -

Awesome! Thanks very much!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Welcome, Jason. Thanks for feeding back.