Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default counting if data from one collumn is present in another collumn

Hi

In one column I have a list of regristion numbers that I have sent marketing
letters to for a particular month. in another worksheet I have a list of all
the vehicles that have visited us since the batch of letters were sent:

For example:

letter sent: visited:
adg123 sgd546
bhr546 qwe789
sdf546 req789
erf123 qdg123
sad548.... abc879
dey551
dyr548
erf123.....

What I want to be able to do is search each rego in the letters column to
see if it comes up in the visited column. I have tried COUNTIF with selecting
the RANGE as the visited column and the criteria as = the first entry in the
letters column and then filling the column so that it is generating the
function for each entry in the letters column but it doesn't seem to work it
only picks up some of the entries that are in both columns.

I am quite confused and would really appreciate any help as my excel
training consists of form 6 IT class and whatever I have worked out and
picked up from people along the way. If I can't find an easy way to do this
then I am back to checking 1000 or so regos in our customer data base one by
one- not a fun job.

Thanks,

Amelia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With the Letters in A and the Visits in B
Use =COUNTIF($A$2:$A$6,B2) and copy down the column
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme