Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default isBlank()

Hello experts,

I'm trying to use the isBlank() function to in one cell to reference
another directly to the right.

Problem is, however, that said cell to the right, while holding a null
value, also has a formula causing the isBlank function to return
false.

Is there a function that will return true if the cell is empty and has
an associated formula?

Thanks for the time,
alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=IF(A1="","blank but not empty","contains something else")

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 8, 4:33 pm, "alex" wrote:
Hello experts,

I'm trying to use the isBlank() function to in one cell to reference
another directly to the right.

Problem is, however, that said cell to the right, while holding a null
value, also has a formula causing the isBlank function to return
false.

Is there a function that will return true if the cell is empty and has
an associated formula?

Thanks for the time,
alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Blank means blank, not containing a formula. If the formula returns the
null string, then compare the value with the null string:

B5: =C5=""

or

B5: =LEN(C5)=0

In article om,
"alex" wrote:

Hello experts,

I'm trying to use the isBlank() function to in one cell to reference
another directly to the right.

Problem is, however, that said cell to the right, while holding a null
value, also has a formula causing the isBlank function to return
false.

Is there a function that will return true if the cell is empty and has
an associated formula?

Thanks for the time,
alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Feb 8, 4:33 pm, "alex" wrote:

Hello experts,

I'm trying to use the isBlank() function to in one cell to reference
another directly to the right.

Problem is, however, that said cell to the right, while holding a null
value, also has a formula causing the isBlank function to return
false.

Is there a function that will return true if the cell is empty and has
an associated formula?

Thanks for the time,
alex- Hide quoted text -

Pete,

You helped answer my question: instead of using isBlank, I used "".

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the feedback - glad to help.

Pete

On Feb 8, 4:33 pm, "alex" wrote:

Hello experts,

I'm trying to use the isBlank() function to in one cell to reference
another directly to the right.

Problem is, however, that said cell to the right, while holding a null
value, also has a formula causing the isBlank function to return
false.

Is there a function that will return true if the cell is empty and has
an associated formula?

Thanks for the time,
alex- Hide quoted text -

Pete,

You helped answer my question: instead of using isBlank, I used "".

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

JE McGimpsey wrote...
Blank means blank, not containing a formula.

To be fair, this is one of Microsoft's more boneheaded mistakes.
ISBLANK likely got its name from the mnemonic returned by
CELL("Type",SomeRange), which returns "b" when the top-left cell in
SomeRange has nothing in it. Microsoft was able to figure out ISTEXT
rather than ISLABEL despite the fact that CELL("Type",...) returns
"l" (lower case L) when the top-left cell evaluates as a text string.
Further, most non-English variants of the ISBLANK function have names
that translate back into English as ISEMPTY. And, FWLIW, the
equivalent Lotus 123 function is named @ISEMPTY.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In article . com,
"Harlan Grove" wrote:

To be fair, this is one of Microsoft's more boneheaded mistakes.

And that's saying a lot...