Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Linking one work book to another....

I am linking cells from one workbood to another....I'm doing this by entering
= in the destination cell then clicking on the cell in the master and hitting
enter. This way I can only do one cell at a time....is there a way to link
multiple cells at one time to speed up the process...I have approximately
30,000 cells that I need to link...please help....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

In the top left cell for the link,
just change the absolute* cell references to relative
eg from: =[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1
to: =[Book1]Sheet1!A1
Then you can fill across and down to link correspondingly

*absolute cell refs seem to be the defaults inserted by Excel
when you click to link sheets across books
--
Max
Singapore
"Chris" wrote:
I am linking cells from one workbook to another....I'm doing this by entering
= in the destination cell then clicking on the cell in the master and hitting
enter. This way I can only do one cell at a time....is there a way to link
multiple cells at one time to speed up the process...I have approximately
30,000 cells that I need to link...please help....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

"Chris" wrote:
This doesn't seem to do anything....

And why not ? .. with the premise that the links are of course over a
contiguous range (surely you don't have 30k discontiguous cells to link to,
do you?)

Assume you want to link to Sheet1's A1:E10 in Book1.xls within a
corresponding range in Book2.xls's Sheet1

With Book1.xls open,

In Book2.xls's Sheet1,

Place in say, A1:
=[Book1]Sheet1!A1

Note that there should be no "$" signs for "A1" in the formula. This was the
point in my earlier response on Excel's default behaviour. If you formulate
the links via point and click across books, the "$" signs are automatically
inserted by Excel.

Then just copy A1 across to E1, fill down to E10
to achieve the linkages
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Good to hear that. Pl ignore my clarification to your earlier comment as it
crossed your 2nd response here
--
Max
Singapore