Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ah ah is offline

Default left function

Hi;

Can anyone advice me on how to :
extract all the wording in a cell except the numeric value, for example:
Example:
For ABCDDEFG 1234------- I want it to appear as ABCDEFG for me only.
For ABC198765------------- I want it to appear as ABC for me only

Previously I'm using the left function as follows:
=LEFT(INDIRECT("Sheet1!A"&ROW()),8)

However, for the above formula to work, I need to know the exact number of
characters that I'm going to extract. Please advice whether there is any
other alternative solution for this. For your information, the numeric value
will always be placed at the back.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=MID(A1,MIN(IF(ISERROR(1*(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("A1: A"&LEN(A1))),1))),
255,ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&LEN(A1))))),99)

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.
Excel will automatically enclose the formula in braces (curly brackets), do
not try to do this manually.
When editing the formula, it must again be array-entered.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"ah" wrote in message
Hi;

Can anyone advice me on how to :
extract all the wording in a cell except the numeric value, for example:
Example:
For ABCDDEFG 1234------- I want it to appear as ABCDEFG for me only.
For ABC198765------------- I want it to appear as ABC for me only

Previously I'm using the left function as follows:
=LEFT(INDIRECT("Sheet1!A"&ROW()),8)

However, for the above formula to work, I need to know the exact number of
characters that I'm going to extract. Please advice whether there is any
other alternative solution for this. For your information, the numeric

value
will always be placed at the back.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have the exact opposite requirement i.e. to remove all the alpha
values and just leave the numeric, although mine is slightly easier in
that its a Web query that pulls some stock prices, thus I see a tail
"p" which I don't want

"ah" wrote in message

Hi;

Can anyone advice me on how to :
extract all the wording in a cell except the numeric value, for example:
Example:
For ABCDDEFG 1234------- I want it to appear as ABCDEFG for me only.
For ABC198765------------- I want it to appear as ABC for me only

Previously I'm using the left function as follows:
=LEFT(INDIRECT("Sheet1!A"&ROW()),8)

However, for the above formula to work, I need to know the exact number of
characters that I'm going to extract. Please advice whether there is any
other alternative solution for this. For your information, the numeric

value
will always be placed at the back.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Got the formula below from this NG to extract only numeric values,
don't understand it but it works.

=(MID('Prices'!AC2,MATCH(FALSE,ISERROR(1*MID('Pric es'!
AC2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN('Prices'!AC2))),1)),0),L EN('Prices'!AC2)-
SUM(1*ISERROR(1*MID('Prices'!AC2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:" &LEN('Prices'!AC2))),
1))))*1)/100

"ah" wrote in message

Hi;

Can anyone advice me on how to :
extract all the wording in a cell except the numeric value, for example:
Example:
For ABCDDEFG 1234------- I want it to appear as ABCDEFG for me only.
For ABC198765------------- I want it to appear as ABC for me only

Previously I'm using the left function as follows:
=LEFT(INDIRECT("Sheet1!A"&ROW()),8)

However, for the above formula to work, I need to know the exact number of
characters that I'm going to extract. Please advice whether there is any
other alternative solution for this. For your information, the numeric

value
will always be placed at the back.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Actually mine was exactly that, left the numeric part.

The OP should therefore use

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

oups.com...

On Jan 31, 11:01 am, "Sean" wrote:
I have the exact opposite requirement i.e. to remove all the alpha
values and just leave the numeric, although mine is slightly easier in
that its a Web query that pulls some stock prices, thus I see a tail
"p" which I don't want

On Jan 31, 10:34 am, "Bob Phillips" wrote:

=MID(A1,MIN(IF(ISERROR(1*(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("A1: A"&LEN(A1))),1))),
255,ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&LEN(A1))))),99)

which is an array formula, it should be committed with

Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.
Excel will automatically enclose the formula in braces (curly

brackets), do
not try to do this manually.
When editing the formula, it must again be array-entered.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

addy)