Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Merging two Cells without losing info

I have a very large spreadsheet that I need to reconfigure.
I have multiple cells that I need to merge without losing the information in
each cell.
I need to merge the information in both cells together.
These cells contain first and last names that also need a space between the
names after they are merged.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

More comprehensively (no offense Tony- just building on your advise a
little), insert a column to the right of the two columns containing the first
and last name. Then use the formula provided to merge the information from
the two columns to the left into the newly inserted column (=a1 & " " & b1).

Next, select the column containing the newly merged first and last name
(presumably column C). Then, EditCopy. Then, without unselecting the C
column (or by re-selecting it), EditPaste Special. Then from the "Paste
Special" drop down menu, check the box next to "Values" and click OK.

This will replace the C column formulas with the resulting text which means
that the C column is no longer dependent on the values of A and B. Thus, you
can now delete the A and B column and keep only the "merged" column you
wanted. When written out like this, the procedure seems tedious but it
really isn't once done a couple of times. Create a back up of your original
so any goofs can be detected and fixed.