Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default keep the results as positive numbers

I am subtracting the actual daily high from the predicted daily high
temperature.

My formula is this:
=H2-B2

However, I want my results to always be positive numbers. I feel like there
should be a simple mathematical answer, but I didn't pay attention very well
at school.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

=ABS(H2-B2)

Or...maybe
=MAX(H2-B2)-MIN(H2-B2)

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Raza" wrote:

I am subtracting the actual daily high from the predicted daily high
temperature.

My formula is this:
=H2-B2

However, I want my results to always be positive numbers. I feel like there
should be a simple mathematical answer, but I didn't pay attention very well
at school.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Raza

=ABS(H2-B2)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:42:00 -0800, Raza wrote:

I am subtracting the actual daily high from the predicted daily high
temperature.

My formula is this:
=H2-B2

However, I want my results to always be positive numbers. I feel like there
should be a simple mathematical answer, but I didn't pay attention very well
at school.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Ron, I forgot about the absolute value function

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=ABS(H2-B2)

Or...maybe
=MAX(H2-B2)-MIN(H2-B2)

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Raza" wrote:

I am subtracting the actual daily high from the predicted daily high
temperature.

My formula is this:
=H2-B2

However, I want my results to always be positive numbers. I feel like there
should be a simple mathematical answer, but I didn't pay attention very well
at school.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're very welcome, Raza....and thanks for the feedback!

by the way...
my 2nd formula should have been
=MAX(H2:B2)-MIN(H2:B2)

instead of
=MAX(H2-B2)-MIN(H2-B2)

(I forgot to replace minus signs when I copied your formula)
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Raza" wrote:

Thanks Ron, I forgot about the absolute value function

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=ABS(H2-B2)

Or...maybe
=MAX(H2-B2)-MIN(H2-B2)

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Raza" wrote:

I am subtracting the actual daily high from the predicted daily high
temperature.

My formula is this:
=H2-B2

However, I want my results to always be positive numbers. I feel like there
should be a simple mathematical answer, but I didn't pay attention very well
at school.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

my 2nd formula should have been
=MAX(H2:B2)-MIN(H2:B2)

I hate to tell you this, Ron, but your revised formula is still wrong. You
want

=MAX(H2,B2)-MIN(H2,B2)

Comas, not colons.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Raza" wrote:

Thanks Ron, I forgot about the absolute value function

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=ABS(H2-B2)

Or...maybe
=MAX(H2-B2)-MIN(H2-B2)

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Raza" wrote:

I am subtracting the actual daily high from the predicted daily high
temperature.

My formula is this:
=H2-B2

However, I want my results to always be positive numbers. I feel
like there
should be a simple mathematical answer, but I didn't pay attention
very well
at school.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ya know, Chip.....if I drank, I'd have an excuse...but, I don't.

Thanks for catching that.

***********
Best Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Raza" wrote:

Thanks Ron, I forgot about the absolute value function

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=ABS(H2-B2)

Or...maybe