Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Convert Binary to Decimal using IF and Sum Functions?

I was just curious if anyone had any idea how to go about converting binary
to decimal using excel WITHOUT using the BIN2Dec function. Instead i can ONLY
use the sum function and IF function. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well actually I was told i can only use 'Basic' functions id imagine a pretty
good amount of them just not bin2dec
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't think there's a particularly simple way, here'a one way with binary
number in A1

=SUM(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)*(2^(LEN (A1)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))))))

confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

"YourFriendlyTechGuy" wrote:

Well actually I was told i can only use 'Basic' functions id imagine a pretty
good amount of them just not bin2dec

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the quick response thats the formula/function i was just looking
into how can i specify within that formula what row all these numbers are
coming from?

My spreadsheets currently setup w/ values 0-15 (Dec) in one row and the row
below is the one which will be containing binary numbers (ONLY 1 or 0), how
would i go about setting it up so that if say any value within cells A7-P7
(Either a 0 changes to 1 or the other way around) changes the cell that i put
that formula will automatically change to the proper decimal value. Not sure
if that was explained very well let me know if you want any kind of
clarification.