Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default exam scheduling in Excel

I work for a university and we are scheduling student s to take an
exam this summer. There are many different days the exam is offered,
and it is offered twice per day. Students request their first,
second, and third choice times through an email.

Currently, I have the request set up like this:

Name 1st Choice 2nd Choice
3rd Choice Timestamp of Request
Smith, John May 14 AM May 14 PM June 1
PM 1/26/07 2:30 pm
Brown, Mark May 14 AM June 1 PM May 14
PM 1/26/07 8:00 pm
Kline, Alicia June 1 PM May 14 PM May
14 AM 1/27/07 7:00 am

We have 10 slots open each AM and 10 open each PM. I want to take the
first 10 students who requested May 14 AM and put them in a separaate
worksheet, the first ten who wanted June 1 PM in another, and so on.

I've tried vlookup and if/thens, but haven't gotten very far. I've
sorted my table by the first choice and the timestamp of request
columns, so Excel will find the first group listed, but nothing past
then. Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

When I was a university registrar I paid $12,000 for an exam schedule
program - for only 3000 students taking 5 exams each. I doubt you will be
able to write one on a part-time basis.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme