Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sum numbers based on value in other cells

I'm trying to count populated cells in a column, based on values in another
column. As example, if Column D is populated as General, I want to count the
number of occurances in Column E. Column D has multiple values. I've tried
pivot tables, but it isn't producing what I need.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=COUNTIF(D:D,"General")

If you really meant sum E, then use

=SUMIF(D:D,"General",E:E)

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Lori" wrote in message
I'm trying to count populated cells in a column, based on values in
another
column. As example, if Column D is populated as General, I want to count
the
number of occurances in Column E. Column D has multiple values. I've
tried
pivot tables, but it isn't producing what I need.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Eva Eva is offline

Have you tried funcion:
=IF(D:D="general",COUNTA(D:D))

Eva

"Lori" wrote:

I'm trying to count populated cells in a column, based on values in another
column. As example, if Column D is populated as General, I want to count the
number of occurances in Column E. Column D has multiple values. I've tried
pivot tables, but it isn't producing what I need.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This returns a "Value" error. I populated the D string and the E string.
Any other thoughts? This seems like it should be simple!!

"Eva" wrote:

Have you tried funcion:
=IF(D:D="general",COUNTA(D:D))

Eva