Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Want to compare data in two numeric column

In my Excel worksheet i have 8000 records and many columns. I want to compare
Id and Student ID. ID's are lot more than Student Id. So how can i match Id
and student id in same worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

A little more detail would help - what do you mean by match, and where are
these student ID and ID's located in the same table or in tables? Do you
just want to know if there is an id that is identical to a student ID or do
you want to count the number that match or that don't match?

Why not show us a dummy sample and explain what you want to see.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"homefunwork.com" wrote:

In my Excel worksheet i have 8000 records and many columns. I want to compare
Id and Student ID. ID's are lot more than Student Id. So how can i match Id
and student id in same worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have Student ID and ID's are two column in same worksheet. I have 3000 ID's
and 8000 Student Id's So I want a Student Id that is identical to an Id.
Please suggest me if I can use any formula or function or advance filter. Any
help will very helpful. Thanks.

"homefunwork.com" wrote:

In my Excel worksheet i have 8000 records and many columns. I want to compare
Id and Student ID. ID's are lot more than Student Id. So how can i match Id
and student id in same worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well if you want to know if the ID column's entry is in the Student ID column
then
enter the following formula:

=COUNTIF(A$1:A$8000,C1)

Copy this formula down for all the items in column C and if the result is 1
(or higher) then there is a match. If it is 0 there is no match.

There are lots of other formulas you could use.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"homefunwork.com" wrote:

In my Excel worksheet i have 8000 records and many columns. I want to compare
Id and Student ID. ID's are lot more than Student Id. So how can i match Id
and student id in same worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=VLOOKUP(C2,A$2:A$8000,1,0)

This assumes the first item in the shorter list is in cell C2. Copy this
formula down beside the short list. It should return #N/A if there is no
match and the ID if there is.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"homefunwork.com" wrote:

In my Excel worksheet i have 8000 records and many columns. I want to compare
Id and Student ID. ID's are lot more than Student Id. So how can i match Id
and student id in same worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I tried both formulas but every time i was getting result 0. no matter
records are matching or not.

id Student ID
195254 195903
195703 196010
195903 198787
196010 205653
196643 208498
196646 209069
196675 209168
197301 210864
197444 210934
198712 221614
200720 370825
202194 451482
203212 451761
210864

Please suggest me how to match Id and Student ID. I have 3000 Student ID and
8000 id is same excel worksheet.
Thanks a lot.