Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tom tom is offline

Default Formuals not working in existing workbooks

All of a sudden the existing formulas do not work in my worksheets. If I copy
a cell and paste to another cell, it just paste's the value of the copied
cell and not the formula. Or if it copies the formula, it show's the right
cells to reference but the value is the copied cell value. If I open a new
workbook, this does not happen and everything is fine.
Any suggistions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Tom

Sounds as though ToolsoptionsCalculation has been set to Manual for
that workbook.
Change it to Automatic

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Tom" wrote in message
All of a sudden the existing formulas do not work in my worksheets. If
I copy
a cell and paste to another cell, it just paste's the value of the
copied
cell and not the formula. Or if it copies the formula, it show's the
right
cells to reference but the value is the copied cell value. If I open
a new
workbook, this does not happen and everything is fine.
Any suggistions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well the second problem sounds like calculation is set to Manual. Choose
Tools, Options, Calculations, Automatic.

I'm not sure what is happening in the first part of your question, please
show an example:

Cell A1 contains =B1 and B1 contains the text "Test", when A1 is copied to
A2, A2 contains the text Test but no formula?
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Tom" wrote:

All of a sudden the existing formulas do not work in my worksheets. If I copy
a cell and paste to another cell, it just paste's the value of the copied
cell and not the formula. Or if it copies the formula, it show's the right
cells to reference but the value is the copied cell value. If I open a new
workbook, this does not happen and everything is fine.
Any suggistions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tom tom is offline

Thank you VERY much. Do you know of any reason this would have changed to
manual by itself? I have not entered that area before.

"Tom" wrote:

All of a sudden the existing formulas do not work in my worksheets. If I copy
a cell and paste to another cell, it just paste's the value of the copied
cell and not the formula. Or if it copies the formula, it show's the right
cells to reference but the value is the copied cell value. If I open a new
workbook, this does not happen and everything is fine.
Any suggistions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you had opened a file earlier which had been saved with the manual
calculation option set, then all other files opened in that same
instance of Excel would inherit this setting.

Pete

"Tom" wrote:

All of a sudden the existing formulas do not work in my worksheets. If I copy
a cell and paste to another cell, it just paste's the value of the copied
cell and not the formula. Or if it copies the formula, it show's the right
cells to reference but the value is the copied cell value. If I open a new
workbook, this does not happen and everything is fine.
Any suggistions?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The default on the setting is Automatic. Maybe another user set it to
manual? If there are any macros in the workbook, they may have set the
option. When I write macros I often have them set this option to manual
because the macros run faster in many cases, however, the author of the macro
must make sure that they turn the option back on in the code.
--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire