Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Moving Cell Information from one workbook into another workbook

I need some assistance.

I can use the formula =sheet2!L4 to bring data in from same workbook to
the front page of my spread sheet, but I want to be able to import
information into this workbook from another workbook.

Can someone spread some light on this without using a macro or vba? I
really just want to keep this as simple as possible?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi genegulledge,

At the most basic level:
.. open both the source and target workbooks,
.. select the destination cell
.. type '='
.. select the source
.. press <Enter
You'll now have a formula looking like:
=[Source.xls]Sheet1!$A$1
If you close the source workbook, the [Source.xls] part will change to include
the filepath.

Note that the cell reference is for an absolute address (i.e. $A$1). You can
change it to relative addressing (i.e. A1) if you want (eg to copy the formula
to other cells and replicate a range from the source workbook).

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

wrote in message
oups.com...
| I need some assistance.
|
| I can use the formula =sheet2!L4 to bring data in from same workbook to
| the front page of my spread sheet, but I want to be able to import
| information into this workbook from another workbook.
|
| Can someone spread some light on this without using a macro or vba? I
| really just want to keep this as simple as possible?
|
| Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

macropod

Thanks I appreciate that and I will give it a whirl!

Please check back, cuz if I run into a snag I will be posting again!

And again I do thank you

On Jan 24, 9:15 pm, "macropod" wrote:
Hi genegulledge,

At the most basic level:
. open both the source and target workbooks,
. select the destination cell
. type '='
. select the source
. press <Enter
You'll now have a formula looking like:
=[Source.xls]Sheet1!$A$1
If you close the source workbook, the [Source.xls] part will change to include
the filepath.

Note that the cell reference is for an absolute address (i.e. $A$1). You can
change it to relative addressing (i.e. A1) if you want (eg to copy the formula
to other cells and replicate a range from the source workbook).

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]