Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default In Excel linked values turn to #REF! after clicking don't update

I am getting an xl attachment that uses linked sheets. At computers
that have Office 2000, I can open it without a problem when I choose
don't update. At my new laptop that has Office 2003, the cell turn to
#REF!. Is there an easier fix than create a copy of a spreadsheet and
insert the =substitute function or creatin a macro? I do not have
access to the original files. Your help is appreciated. Thanks,
-Guido

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

you might try Tools, Options, Calculations, and uncheck Update remote
references.

a second thing you might try is choose Edit, Links, Startup Prompt, set the
option to the first choice.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

" wrote:

I am getting an xl attachment that uses linked sheets. At computers
that have Office 2000, I can open it without a problem when I choose
don't update. At my new laptop that has Office 2003, the cell turn to
#REF!. Is there an easier fix than create a copy of a spreadsheet and
insert the =substitute function or creatin a macro? I do not have
access to the original files. Your help is appreciated. Thanks,
-Guido

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Those are good ideas but I have the following challenge:
1. The check mark for "Update remote references" returns once I open
the workbook again. I am talking about any spreadsheet... What am I
doing wrong?
2. The Startup Prompt is grayed out, I can't select it. Again, what am
I doing wrong?
Hopefully, you can help me. Thanks,
-Guido